These are issues/ problems that I’ve had with Revit whose resolution would improve my workflow (and probably that of others). This is dynamic document and will be added to/ edited over time.
All comments were generated from using 2012
- Type Properties
- from the project browser, double picking selecting the same family type twice in a row brings up a blank Instance Properties dialog the second time. You have to select a double click different type, cancel that then go back to the one you want to change. (at least on profiles)
- Shared Detail components in window frame profile families do not show up. (2011, 2012?, 2013?)
- It would be nice to be able to ‘flip’ a profile in window mullions. (2011, 2012?, 2013?)
- It would be nice to be able to place detail components in 3d families (2011, 2012?, 2013?)
- add a button to ‘edit profile’ when in mullion properties
- 3point align (similar to AutoCAD)
- MultiThreading – Pretty much all production staff have multicore CPU’s. Please write the code to take advantage of this.
- It would be nice to be able to talk to Autodesk directly about issues we have
- Filled Regions
- add the ability to tab through to objects behind a filled region that is set to transparent.
- It’d be nice to be able to select an objects working plane directly from the Properties Palette
- Hot Keys/Short Cut (need to be able to assign)
- Lock Hot Key – Right after aligning an object it’d be helpful if a hot key would lock the alignment (rather than having to pick the lock icon).
- Viewport scale
- Everything should be accessible from a shortcut
- Edit Type
- Go to view
- View Range (maybe not so important)
- select mullions on gridline (2011, 2012?, 2013?)
- the keyboard shortcuts dialog should be filterable so that we can see just the commands that have shortcuts applied. Then we can sort ascending or descending.
- Stop asking me if I want my walls to go to the floor bottom…I don’t..it’d be great if you could remember that.
- voids need to be easier to select when editing in a family
- hotkeys should be assignable to designated views. This would be helpful in the model (user settings) and in families. For example, in families it’d be helpful to select ‘ff’ to go to the front view.
- View Templates – Should be ‘hot’ so that if a default view template has been applied to a view and the view template definition changes, then the view should automatically update accordingly.
- zoom to selected objects
- don’t zoom out to extents when the view scale is changed (2011, 2012?, 2013?)
- need family types (such as roof) in loadable families so that generic models and be assigned to roof and be controlled with categories
- Families – General
- This information has been moved to here: http://mertens3d.com/blog/?page_id=448
- wall sweeps
- reset built in wall sweeps
- hide-able built in wall sweeps
- fix bug that causes a crash when assigning built in wall sweeps. It looks like it’s happening when the profile is illegal (has overlapping lines).
- make it easier to get to some commands like built in wall sweeps. Make the sweeps so you don’t have to be in section to pic…or default to section…or remember last.
- add the copy and paste wall sweeps/reveals between wall definitions
- You should be able to tab through to get the the nested baluster families (to select edit family)
- Balusters should be in their own subgroup…not mixed in with railing families
- Some commands take too many keystrokes to get to. Such as:
- Merge /Collapse Materials – This may be possible with the API
- Why does it take so long to rename a material? Renaming!
- Why does it take so long to update a material? (fyi, it’s only using 1 core)
- opening materials (selecting) takes way too long in 2013
- Put backup revit files (.001, .002, etc.) is a subfolder or do something so that they don’t clutter up the dialogs.
- You shouldn’t have to put an equals sign “=” in front on a formula. Infer it from the fact that users puts in a = or -. Hmmm…maybe that won’t work for a minus.
- Assign materials all the way through a wall so that when it is linked into Max all six sides have the correct material assignment. Additionally do this when the wall has a cut.
- Align hatch patterns by default. (brick is not when looked at in 3d with a hole in the wall)
- FBX’s take way too long to create and are way too big. Maybe create a ‘lite’ version of FBX that doesn’t have all the bitmaps and such. All I need is to get the material assignments and UVW’s from the geometry in Revit to Max.
- Remember my choice (automatic – short, automatic – long, etc.) from session to session
- Edit Assembly Dialog – it’s too small. Allow it to be stretched. Remember the last width.
- It’d be nice if you didn’t have to go into edit boundary to modify the offset at tail property
- Project Browser
- There needs to be quick ways to collapse/expand all.
- it’d be helpful to be able to filter the families section
- Remember scroll when switching between files. Currently it goes back to the top of the list when returning from editing a family. This is a pain when you’ve spent time drilling down to find your family in a long list.
- Export to Autocad
- visibilty bug – a generic annotation family placed inside of a 3d family will display correctly in Revit, but will not show when exported to Autocad in hidden line mode. It does show up in autocad when exported in wireframe. Verified in 2011 and 2012
- Workshare Enabled Files
- It would be nice if double clicking on a central file from windows file manager, would automatically create a local file. If the user wanted to open the central file directly make them have to check a check box in the file open dialog.
- The ‘Synchronize with Central’ setting dialog needs to be sizable. I can’t read the whole path in the “Central File Location:” . This happens when in the central file because the path edit text area is disabled(2011, 2012?, 2013?)
Callouts (Floor Plan)
- Need to be able to have multiple ‘Floor Plan’ view types. I.E. one that says ‘SIM.’, one that says ‘SIM. O.H.”, etc. (2011 ?, 2012, 2013 changed but not as needed ) – this can be done in revit structure, but not revit architecture. Suggested solution: Have the reference label be an instance parameter.
- Would probably be more useful, and easier for users to understand if instead of choosing a level as an underlay instead you choose a specific view as the underlay.
- Provide feedback on what happened during an audit. Were any problems found? What were they? Were they fixed? What was the element id? etc. (2012)
- apparently if you have at least one file in your add-in folder that does not have security set to full control, the add-in manager will not function correctly…or something like this. Still trying to nail it down. (2012)
- It would be nice to be able to open multiple properties dialogs so that we can easily compare objects to each other.
- Why don’t roof points snap?
- category should be hid-able. All categories should be able to be hidden via VG
- When tabbing through the mullion types (in type properties) highlight the current value so that we can just paste a value in from the clipboard. 
- Should be able to link, update and re-path images. Treat them like AutoCAD does. Also like Revit’s linked Revit/ cad files. …as external resources.